Saturday 25 September 2010

An old zither our guinea pig used to sleep on

I count myself lucky that I inherited my father's sense of humour (although he is certainly not to blame for the inappropriateness of some of the things I find funny). I also inherited most of his books and quite a few of his favourite authors. His tastes would have been formed in the thirties and forties, so many of them are out of fashion nowadays. I keep Wodehouse by the bed (and, for a pinko-liberal Guardian reader, liking Wodehouse is pretty much as bad as liking Wagner) and while I may hate his sins I can't help liking the sinner.

In the days when I was having children, I never went into hospital without either Saki or Thurber, neither of them read or regarded by anyone I know although I would recommend them to everyone. They are of their time, admittedly, but so is Jane Austen and noone ever holds it against her. I have just returned once more to Thurber, in an ancient yellow paperback which was my father's, falling to bits and with that ripe smell that old paperbacks have. And I was laughing aloud on the train on Thursday morning (for which I apologise to my fellow travellers).

What's not to love about an author who manages to work into his story, "an old zither that our guinea pig used to sleep on"?

No comments:

Post a Comment