Monday 11 July 2011

Looking for foxes

I watch people on the train - I watch people on the train a lot. Almost everyone is absorbed in something, a book, a newspaper or, more and more often, an electronic gadget. These are getting smaller all the time, but offering more and more to look at, and sometime soon I expect we'll reach the point where we can "see a world in a grain of sand". But it takes a lot of concentration and while people are staring at their tiny screens they are completely unaware of the real world passing by outside the train windows.

I read on the train sometimes - quite often, in fact - and of course I watch the people, but I also look out of the windows. I know where the rabbits are, and the pond where the heron used to stand, and when I'm on a slow train I look to see if I can see the family of foxes. They are usually there on sunny mornings. The cubs are quite big now.

I think people would enjoy their journeys much more if sometimes they looked up and out of the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment