Tuesday 13 August 2013

The soldier's return, by Melvyn Bragg

Now that there is no second-hand bookshop in St Albans, not since Paton's closed, I am thrown back onto the Oxfam bookshop which, to be fair, isn't bad. However, the stock isn't large and the range isn't great, so any choice is based upon serendipity. I picked up Melvyn Bragg not because I am a special fan of his writing but because we are shortly (tomorrow, in fact) going up to Grandma's, and the nearest town to Grandma is Wigton, which is where Mr Bragg was born and educated (at the same school as Husband, in fact, though not at the same time). This book is based in Wigton, and to such an extent that the town is practically one of the major characters.

Set just after World War 2 (hence the title) it is quite a gripping read and I was genuinely curious to find out how it would end, which wasn't how I expected, but I'm not going to give the plot away. It is well-structured and well-written but I am never sure who books like this are written for - it doesn't have the clever-clever tricks of style of a really literary novel (and not necessarily any the worse for it), but neither is it a rollicking romp, so perhaps it is aimed at Mr Bragg's Radio 4 audience, and I suppose I probably count as one of them.

Knowing that I would finish the book today and wanting another to take away with me, and not being in St Albans, the next book came from the hospice shop in Marshalswick (you do get a better class of cast-offs in Marshalswick, so the charity shops are worth a browse, though precious few books amongst them) and only when I got it home did I realise how similar the two books are in appearance.



This next one is an account of the last five years of the life of the poet Edward Thomas, so we all know how that's going to end.



No comments:

Post a Comment