Wednesday 15 April 2009

Froggie mortis

There's a dead frog in the greenhouse.

How did it get there? Obviously it can't have got there after it died. There are no gaps for an animal big enough to carry a dead frog to get in through, not with the door shut, which it has been. And a heron isn't likely to have deliberately posted it in through the ventilator.

If it was alive when it got in, what killed it? Frogs have lived happily in there all through previous summers. I hope it died peacefully of old age, rich in honour and happy memories. But if it had, I would have expected it to have been settled comfortably in a dark cool corner, not squatting right in the middle, as if death surprised it.

It's not mangled, so I didn't tread on it, or squash it with the watering can. Believe me, I'm not giving it too close a look, but there are no obvious signs of violence.

Was it something that it ate? That's the really scary thought. The greenhouse is where I grow all my salad stuff at this time of year.

Is my lettuce poisoned? Will we all be discovered at the weekend sitting dead around the salad bowl with the ants crawling over us?

Anyway, I'm going to pretend I haven't seen it and hope that Ian finds it and clears it away. He's a country boy, he's good at that sort of thing.

Now I see that there's a bat flying round outside. That's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment