Saturday 6 June 2009

Holiday begins

I am at the start of a week off - no plans to go anywhere, just a few days at home. I need a break - it's been grind grind grind at work lately and not enough laughs. So, not having any plans, I have the illusion of lots of time and nothing much to do, and this first day have pretty much frittered my time away.

I walked down to the supermarket and back this morning, so I've had some exercise, and bought the ingredients for the weekend meals. Even that was a bit unfocussed, because although I have a concept for tonight's supper I don't really have a recipe, and it'll either be a triumph or a disaster.

I've done a bit of cleaning, including changing sheets and pushing the hoover into corners of the bedroom where it doesn't usually go, and I've also had a bit of a go at the kitchen. I cleaned the fridge (the inside of it, anyway) and found some quite remarkable unpleasantnesses. Believe me that marzipan goes really hard when it is six years past its use-by date. There were also some pots of things that I'm not sure what they used to be, but I doubt it was as fizzy as they are now. Some rancid nastinesses have been liberated into landfill and some foul encrustations have been picked off (by fingernail where necessary). Whoever designed that fridge had no thought for the people who would have to clean it, or he wouldn't have put in so many grooves and crevices. At least it is clean now, and no fear that a green greasy hand is going to come at you when you open the door, and drag you inside.

Then I attacked the sink and scoured it - even the bit underneath the thing that fits into the drain (does it have a name?) - and scrubbed the draining rack and the washing-up bowl, and put soda down the drain. It all looks very shiny now, but it won't last. Cleaning really is a complete waste of time.

There are all sorts of things that I could be doing, but I don't think I feel like doing any of them.Husband has just suggested going to the pub, so I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment