Sunday 6 September 2009

Middlemarch to Deptford

Finally! I've finished Middlemarch. And what a slog it was, too. I'm still not sure that I understand the plot and I don't really care what happened to everyone. But at least I got to the end.

Now I've started on Fifth business, by Robertson Davies, advertised on the back cover as, "the first novel in the celebrated Deptford trilogy". So I was expecting a dour Scots novel set in East London. And it isn't - it's Canadian. And it's really really good. I was hooked from the beginning.

Sample: "... Dr McAusland was compelled to read the Riot Act to him, in such terms as a tight-lipped Presbyterian uses when reading the Riot Act to an emotional Baptist".

Yes, it's funny as well. Beats George Eliot into a cocked hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment