Sunday 17 January 2010

Snow

I hate the snow - I hate everything to do with winter. Maybe it's OK if you are indoors, somewhere warm, just looking out at it - but it is misery to be trying to get to work in it, trying to shop and just do the ordinary everyday business of living in it. I am so tired with the struggle, and so is everyone I talk to. Trying to keep balance on slippery pavements; waiting ages in two inches of frozen slush for a bus; trains that don't go the usual way to the usual place. All horrible.

My skin is so dry that it is cracking over my knuckles. My nails are breaking. My hair is like straw. I seem to have been wearing the same clothes for weeks. I am fed up with clumpy boots and wellies.

All the plants in the cold frame and in the greenhouse look half-dead or completely dead, mushy and rotten, or stiff and brown. Plants in the ground have been flattened. Everywhere is sodden and muddy and bleak.

If winter comes, can Spring be far behind? Looks like it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment