Sunday 11 April 2010

Garden

It has been a good weekend - the first really sunny and warm weekend - and I have been spending most of it down the garden. So, I have finally got the second (and last) of my potato rows in, which was just as well, as the sprouts were an inch long. These were Anya, which is a variety I haven't tried before, but they are salad potatoes, bred from Pink Fir Apple, so they'll be a funny shape but should taste good.

I also spent a lot of time yesterday pruning the blackberries (and yes, I do know that I should have done it last autumn but I didn't have the time). It isn't a job you can do quickly, and even doing it slowly I got myself very scratched and bloody but it looks tidy now with everything tied in neatly. And I neatened up the vine as well, the one that goes up over the arch, although the effect has been rather spoiled by Ruddles climbing up and chewing the ends, goodness knows why, but he will eat anything and perhaps he liked the taste of the sap.

There is so much left to do that I could spend all week out there and probably still not get it all finished. It is frustrating to have to go back to work tomorrow knowing it will be another six days before I am here again able to get on with it, and even then it might be raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment