Tuesday 4 May 2010

Garden

It has been another frustrating weekend weather-wise. It was pouring down on Sunday, so I did all the indoor jobs - the cleaning, cooking, ironing, all the boring stuff - and on Monday, as it was still very wet underfoot and with better weather promised for the afternoon, I did the same again in the morning - all the boring indoor stuff. After lunch, out I went into the garden. There were still heavy showers, but I could dodge them by doing sowing and stuff in the shed or in the greenhouse; and then I did lots of tidying in the shed and the greenhouse... and still there were heavy showers, too close together to be worth getting outdoors in between them. I don't mind getting wet myself, but I do hate working with tools with wet handles. The sky would clear, the sun would come out, and I would just be thinking, ha ha, now's my chance - when along would come the next downpour. In the end, and in bad mood, I gave up and came in. And it never rained again for the rest of the day!

Today I have to go up to town as I have a dentist's appointment, and already the sky is clouding over. But I must get another row of peas in when I get back if I possibly can...

The only good thing about the rain is that everything in the garden looks lush and green and healthy. And the rhubarb has put on another three inches over the last few days, so there will be rhubarb crumble next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment