Sunday 18 July 2010

The holiday ended with a bang (because there wasn't time for a whimper)

It was our last morning in Malaga and we were intending to go to the Museum of Modern Art, and then do a bit of shopping (a few presents, etc) before going to the airport. So we were in the hotel room doing the last of the packing, cleaning teeth and such like and Husband had just asked what time it was. It was between twenty and quarter to ten, and we were discussing whether the musem would open at 10 or before, and Husband was putting the travel documents into his case. And then he said, in an unusually small voice - "The flight's at 10.25".

I had had it fixed in my mind that we had a morning flight and would be home by lunchtime, but Husband had persuaded me that I'd got it wrong and we were leaving at lunchtime. I had suggested checking, but it had never been done. So there we were, with less than 45 minutes to get to the plane.

I decided, regretfully, that we didn't have time for a row.

We flung the last bits into the bags (thankfully we only had hand luggage and had checked-in online) and rushed down to reception and asked them to order a taxi. Which they did, but we had to wait for it, and I suppose it was only five minutes but it felt like an hour. And then the traffic was heavy and then there were roadworks - and we were just on the approach road to the airport at ten past ten.

Thank goodness the queues were short at the security check and noone tried to stop us. We ran through the departure lounge, found the gate number (C36) and ran for that. Reached it, out of breath. And it was shut. No sign of passengers, no sign of staff. We stood at looked at it stupidly, then Husband put his bag down and started to trudge back, I suppose to look for someone to tell us what to do next. And I looked round behind me and saw - our flight still showing at gate C35. I must have mis-read it on the board. I had to shout at Husband, who was a way away by then, he gallopped back and we thrust our boarding cards at the staff there. "Es possible?" Thank goodness for the easy-going Mediterranean temperament. Yes, it was possible.

Our bottoms hit the seats at 10.23.

No comments:

Post a Comment