Saturday 3 July 2010

Platform

There was a major disaster at the station on Tuesday morning. I have been commuting for 20-odd years and for most of them, I have been standing exactly at the same place on the platform each morning, at a spot which coincides with the rear set of doors on the penultimate carriage. (This makes it easy for me to get my accustomed seat amongst the familiar faces. I can't take any excitement at that time in the morning).

It has been easy to find the right place, because it is exactly three cracks to the left of the chipped slab. The platform is edged with quite large slabs, one of which was easy to spot becasue a chunk of the corner was broken off. Count along to the left to the third crack between the slabs - and that was my place.

Except it isn't any more. As part of the building work which is leading to the extension of the platform to accommodate 12-coach trains, they have renewed the slabs. They are the same size and shape and style, but without a missing corner they all look exactly the identical.

Now how am I going to be able to find exactly the right place to stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment