Wednesday 31 March 2010

Disaffected

It hasn't been a great day off. I had it planned for gardening, but it's been showery and bitterly cold, with a biting wind, so I didn't fancy it outside and as a result I've been kicking about at a bit of a loose end. (That's a bit unfair on myself, as I did put in a morning of very useful housework).

Anyway, I ended up in the town, wandering about in and out of the shops, seeing lots of very nice things - but they were all too flimsy, too small or much too young for me, and so I got increasingly grumpy. No surprise there.

Staring out of the bus window on the way back home, there was a disaffected youth trudging along, slouched in his hoodie. And I thought - maybe I should get a hoodie. It would certainly chime with my mood. I've already got the ill-fitting jeans and the down-at-heel shoes, and the slouch gets pretty much universal as we all get older and more hunched, and scuff slowly along where once we would have strode fit and erect. We tend to mumble, and disapprove of pretty much everything, our social skills and pleasantries have gone all to pot, and why would it matter if the wires trailing from our ears ended in hearing aids rather than i-Pods? Why should only the young have a uniform of disaffection?

I'm sure that M&S, or Edinburgh Woollen Mill, could come up with a design in a tasteful plaid, with a nice snuggly fleece lining in the hood...

No comments:

Post a Comment