Friday 5 March 2010

I don't run for buses any more

Any conversation I have at the moment seems to turn to the subject of retirement, old age, disease and death. Some people are really looking forward to retiring and some people who already are retired reckon they've never had it so good; others dread retirement as the beginning of the end, a slow decline into incapacity and indignity. I think it all depends upon your energy levels, physical and mental - if you have enough of both, then retirement is going to be great.

The trouble is, I think I am already slowing down. There are an awful lots of things nowadays that I just can't be bothered to do. Even things I have been looking forward to - holidays, outings - as they get closer turn from being treats to being chores, things which have to be done, and I look forward to the time when they are over and I am able to slide back into the familiar and undemanding routine.

Most of the time it is easier to do nothing - or at least, not to do anything today when there is always tomorrow. Why bother doing the ironing? After all, it isn't going to go anywhere, and I don't actually need any of it right now. Might as well have a sit down and a cup of tea and a biscuit instead. Why get on with that presentation I should be writing when I could as easily do a blog post, or play patience?

And it is the same with buses. Why lurch into an undignified run and get out of breath? Might as well assume indifference and stroll on, hoping there's another one behind it. But is this a mature and reasonable decision or just the first sign of old age?

No comments:

Post a Comment